506 Wabash was built circa 1888 for physician Valcolon W. Mather by Western Lumber Company. In 1893 John W. Merrill, manager of the Big Four Tea and Coffee Company was listed as the owner. Mr. Merrill was an enigmatic businessman who was known as an avid collector and the house became affectionately known as "The House of Relics."
The current occupants are a graphic designer and artist who are moving out of the area. Most of the house is original...woodwork, pocket doors, tin ceilings, Victorian heater in the kitchen...floors all are from 1888.
Victorian heat in the kitchen.
Their young son has quite the room....
Above and below, second floor hallway.
Third floor studio. Creative space.
An out building in back of the house has been transformed into a meeting area for gatherings.