Saturday, October 19th, 2013 was the date for the Second Annual Northeast Kansas City Historical Society's Fall Homes Tour. Six homes and a church were featured in three of the six neighborhoods that make up Historic Northeast. Above is the home of Van and Jan Marquis... the Victorian was built ca 1891 and was originally 50 feet to the west (left) of its present location. The first occupant was Lon H. Gaskill... subsequent residents included Miss Amelia Gray, a teacher at Garfield Elementary School, and Milton Losee, manager of the Sandwich Manufacturing Company. Our present homeowners bought the home in 1994 and have done a complete restoration of the interior and exterior. This home is in the Independence Plaza Neighborhood. .
The light on the newel post in the above shot is original to the home. This is the front entry hall.
Above and below, the living room/parlor.
Above and below, the Library... created by the current owners. Stained glass is not original but gorgeous.
Above and below, the dining room including two of the superb docents for the all-volunteer tour.
Above the entry hall, below, a cozy corner in the kitchen.
Above, another shot of the Parlor/Living Room with its south-facing windows. Below, the front door.
Above, the current owner installed bathroom under the front stairs which are shown in the shots below.
Above, the front porch and below the back and side yards.
The iron fence in the above photo was rescued from a home on sixth street. It had been discarded
The Lykins Neighborhood plays host to this 1888 beauty constructed for Thomas King Hanna part owner of Burnham, Hanna, Linger and Company which was located on Delaware Street in todays City Market area. A combination of Queen Anne and Tudor architecture, the home has walls that are two-feet thick. Multiple owners have lived here including O.C. Trice in 1900, George O. Coffin in 1908, and, surprisingly, the home was subdivided into ten living units and called the Maplewood Apartments in 1922. In 1988 the current owner, Mr. Gunter Van De Kiefernagel, bought the home and began an extensive renovation which returned the home to single family status.
Many coats of paint had to be removed from the original woodwork inside. Pocket doors needed restoration and lots of non-original walls removed.
Above, the front doors and below the view from the porch toward ninth street. The home
has 10-thousand square feet of living area.
Above the entry hall and below the parlor.
Below, directly across the Hall from the Parlor is the Formal Living Area...
Above and below, the dining room.
Above and below, the kitchen.
All the murals in the home and the room design were done by Gunter who was formerly a Principal Dancer with the Berlin Ballet.
Above, stairs to the second floor and, below, the entryway.