Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Restoring the Past

Friends Janice and Richard have hired moi to restore this 1907 photo of Kansas City... Richard found it at a garage sale. The original is in terrible shape with just about everything wrong with it that you can think of from water stains to microbes... the overall tone of the image has changed also. A silver halide image it was probably originally plain old black and white. Detail in it is incredible from people on the street to clothes hanging on backyard clotheslines.
I'll post updated pix over the next few days to show the restoration progress. this will take a while. Original size is 18 1/8 inches tall by 47 11/16s.

I took three separate, full frame, photos of it and them stitched them together in Photoshop... the working size image is 7 3/4 by 20 and I will upsize it when completed.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the island near where the GM plant is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this photo is in the Missouri Valley Special Collections at the library, if that is of any use to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's in the Library of Congress collection too and theirs has extra on the right side.... I may try to add it to mine. Theirs also has the smoke/defect in the upper left quadrant... I really wanted to fix that but looks like that won't happen.

    ReplyDelete