Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Elmwood

 I'm not going into a lot of history about Elmwood Cemetery here.  If you desire more information you can visit their most excellent website:  http://www.elmwoodcem-kc.org
Suffice it to say it's one of the oldest in the city and contains the remains of many famous citizens... from mayors to madams.   I occasionally like to walk through the grounds and look for pictures.  Today I was also looking for a deer that has taken up residence.  I did find her, but not until I got home and looked at the pictures.  See if you can find her.  


 The grounds were designed by George Kessler who also did Cliff Drive, Kessler Park and many, many of our Parks and Boulevards.   His original design is somewhat intact... although it included a lake which is gone.









 Above, all nationalities are buried here.  Below, lambs guard a child's grave.


 Elmwood is very well maintained considering it's age.  And Armour (the meat family) Chapel still functions for funerals and weddings.




 Many Civil War Veterans are  interred here.

 Above, the tomb of Jacob Loose (Loose Park).. founder of the Loose Viles Biscuit Co.   Below, we now know where he is....  :  WALDO


 Mr. and Mrs. Stevens now separated by tree.
 Above, a bit if irony for Sean.  Changes on a crypt.  


5 comments:

  1. Great, David. I never went there, but always wanted to.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the run there Sat. It's one of our favorites.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures...I couldn't find the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ever notice that Confederate gravestones have pointed tops on them?

    Did you happen to notice any Woodmen of the World grave markers?

    I've always wanted to go check it out, but was never sure where the entrance was or where I could park. I'll check your link above to see if I can find an answer.

    I've always wanted to check out that big cemetery up around 55th & Troost. Have you been up to that one?

    I've done Lincoln Cemetery off of Truman & Blue Ridge, which btw gives you a lesson in segregated life way back when and Union Hill. Elmwood might be my next cemetery project.

    Here's some pics for you. http://www.flickr.com/photos/philmo/collections/72157612690088368/

    Cheers,

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, especially liked the Where's Waldo. Haven't seen that one myself yet. Found the deer!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete