Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Walk Along The Drive

Took a walk along Cliff Drive today. Needed to get out.... needed exercise. Walked along the Drive to the lake and back. The bush honeysuckle is in full bloom. An invasive plant it was brought into Missouri as an ornamental garden inhabitant and then escaped. It is fast growing, beautiful when it flowers, smells wonderful... but has no natural enemies except a flame thrower.

Scarritt Point from the Drive... fully engulfed by leafy life.... excellent view from its edge.
Up top by Scarritt Point the skyline is slowly sinking behind the trees.... probably another couple of summers, at least from this point, it will only be visible in the winter.

As with other parts of the hood the little darlin's like to mark their territory with their little gang signs.... I know its territorial but really... do you want to lay claim to a storm drain???
Parks and Rec regularly cleans the stuff off...
The population of geese at the lake has increased to 13 and ducks to 4. The goslings have really grown since the last post.

There were a couple of adorable little kids with their grandmother watching the goslings. The grandmother told me that the oldest little girl had named all of them. I said, "well how do you know which one is which?" She (probably 7) said, "I don't have to, they know who they are."
Good answer.
The green herons are back and seem less skittish this year than last... I'd like to see the male and female together but they won't cooperate.

4 comments:

  1. spring is cool, before it all melts down

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it best now... before the greenery and we are eaten alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honeysuckle is like the trumpet vine I unwittingly bought because it was labled "hummingbird vine". The lady at the checkout warmed me about it, and some of my readers also commented that it's impossible to get rid of. So I moved it from my back yard fence over the the fence between me and the drug-dealing neighbors. I told Cliff, "If you accidentally weed-eat it, I won't be mad; just try not to, until I see what it looks like."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The honeysuckle has taken over Cliff Drive. It chokes out most competing plants. For a while Parks and Rec had an eradication program but that was like trying to drain the Great Lakes with a teaspoon.

    ReplyDelete